Sunday, December 13, 2009

Angels Unaware

My favorite story of the past year was about an 'angel unaware' that impacted the life of another. A brief exchange that has remained within the one on the end of the kindness, decades later.

Angels unaware ... those words have resonated within me ever since I first read them.

I reflect on the angels that have walked along with me through my life ... I wonder about the angels that watched over me when I was so down and out, that I didn't recognize their presence ... I aspire to act in ways that I feel that I am an instrument of kindness in some small way to another person.

My favorite Christmas decorations are my angels. I have a handful of angels that I keep on display all year long. I gaze at my collection of angels and feel protected. I feel a sense of safety as I walk through my days. Not a concrete 'money in the bank' kind of safety. Something more important than that. It is as if there is an invisible force all around me. No matter what happens in my life, I know for a fact that it will be okay. Eventually.

Last night, I spent an evening with two of my earthly angels. My friends.

Each of these friends has walked at my side as I have tread through uncharted territory of my life. Individual and unique in their friendship and their personalities, I consider each a dear friend. Yet the three of us have never sat down for an evening of friendship and company before.

A gathering of my angels here on earth. My friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment