Monday, November 2, 2009

Snap Out of It!

As much as I enjoyed as my laid-back day yesterday, the idle time started messing with me. Insecurities and negativity started seeping into the crevices of my mind.

I'm surprised that I consciously noticed the change - I used to get swept up and lost in these feelings. This time, I felt so out of sorts that I thought 'this is not the way I usually feel'. And I worked to snap myself out of it.

I had to change the 'thought patterns' that were cycling through my mind. Instead of caving into my desire to go out for supper or order something, I chose an easy cook-at-home meal instead. I thought that feeding my body proper nourishment would be a step in the right direction. It's too easy to feed these low moods with convenience food. Garbage in, garbage out?

The act of making that decision got me moving and out of the house. Once in the car, I turned on my CD from my 'Thought Patterns' class and absorbed some of these words. It just so happened that the exact spot in the CD, were the words I needed to hear.

In with the positive ... out with the negative.

Moving forward with the day, my thoughts shifted. Instead of focusing on the insecurities that had risen to the surface, I looked ahead to our family supper.

The funny thing is, that I mentioned this 'shift to the dark side' of my thinking and Middle Son said that he felt the same way. We didn't dwell on it, but it was nice to know I wasn't completely alone.

As we sat down as a family and shared some healthy nourishment and conversation, my mood was transformed.

I used to get caught up in the dark moods. I felt so powerful yesterday - to look those insecurities in the face and tame them. It is good that I have those feelings. It makes me scrutinize my thinking. I've become such a chatterbox that I need the quiet. To listen ... to myself, to the people and world around me.

I don't want to get caught up in those dark moods. I am so glad that I was able to snap myself out of it. Consciously shifting my thoughts and feeding my brain nourishing food was key. Enveloping myself in my family was icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment