Thursday, November 12, 2009

Simple Pleasures

It was my birthday yesterday. It was a day like any other ... but a day that was unwrapped, bit by bit ... like a gift.

First of all it was a holiday. "Thanks, Mom" for having me on a statutory holiday. It's one of the rare holidays that hasn't been bumped around to turn it into a long weekend. Thanks to my mom's incredible planning, I've never had to work or go to school on my birthday. It is my special birthday present ... every single year.

The first thing I found when I checked my email, was a message from my Firstborn Son. A message of forgiveness and love. Our family doesn't speak in those terms (we were taught that actions speak louder than words ... and I'm afraid that passed that 'gift' along to my own family) but every now and again, it does feel good to hear (or read) the words. Considering the long and winding road that our relationship has travelled, this was a gift beyond my wildest dreams. Thank you.

Then my day was greeted by a telephone call from my mom. We had a most wonderful conversation ... we talked of 'the ring' and so much more.

Emails, facebook greetings, phone calls, unexpected company sprinkled throughout the day made an ordinary day ... special. Just as I was calling it a night, I received an email from my uncle. Exchanging birthday greetings is something we've simply never done. It brought a smile to my face and my thoughts immediately went back, to reminisce about the most incredible visits that I've had with my uncle this past year ...

My boys took me out for a special birthday supper. Second Son choreographed the when/where/how of it all ("Thank you!!"). All we had to do was show up. The food was great, but being surrounded by my family was better. My Youngest would have rather been anywhere than sitting at a restaurant, slowly enduring the various courses which prolonged the meal. But his gift to me was coming along and 'bonding' with his older brothers.

We wound up our evening by coming back home and just visiting around the kitchen table. The conversation flowed easily, I see a connection starting to form between Son #1 & #2. The nine years that separate them is starting to fade. The 11 & 20 years that separate them from Their Youngest Brother is still a bit of a stretch. But it will come. As I sat with my 3 sons as we had supper last night, we talked of the future. When My Youngest is 19, his older brothers will be 30 and 39. It could take a while before the age gap is bridged. But they are on their way ...

Second Son has a most special knack of knowing what to say and how to say it. After a day where I was once again wafting on a cloud, he slowly drew me back to earth with a birthday card that brought me back to reality: "You shouldn't worry about getting old! ................... It's too late for that!" Thanks ... I needed that. Really! I did.

Each person that touches my life is a gift ... every single day of my life. Having all of these greetings collide on the days in and around my birthday makes my head spin.

As fun as it is to have dance showcases, birthdays and other celebrations ... it is the small, everyday things that matter the most. Life's simple pleasures ...

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful birthday, Colleen - I am so glad - what a rich and beautiful life you are building for yourself and your sons. Karen

    ReplyDelete