Sunday, November 22, 2009

Oooo ... My Aching Body

I have been seriously questioning this new line of work that I have been preparing myself to enter this past little while.

I probably spend an average of 8 hours a day at the computer. Between school work, book keeping work and blogging/emailing/word games/etc ... I am a computer-a-holic.

I have a sore shoulder from 'mousing' (it took me days to figure out that I should simply move the computer mouse to a different spot on the desk so I'm not irritating my shoulder). And my neck has been getting progressively worse.

Yesterday, I finally figured out why my neck is so sore.

I got new glasses this fall, due to the fact that I would be spending so much time at the computer. My contact lenses were bothering me (due to the excessive computer-time, I believe), so I thought it made perfect sense to get the prescription on my glasses updated and use them instead. My eyes are so happy that I made that choice.

But ... my glasses are bifocals (of the progressive type). The bottom part of my glasses are for reading/close up work. My neck was extremely sore and it was from lifting my head up to see the computer. I finally started to wonder why I was lifting my head to see the computer screen which is at eye level. It's so that I can read it out of the reading portion of my glasses.

My eyes are happy and healthy ... but oh, my aching neck!

I must find a way to make this career-change ergonomically healthy.

First stop - my optometrist. I must get some glasses strictly for close up work or update my contact lenses. But my new glasses are not working properly for this job.

Secondly, our computer desk is quite likely nearing 20 years old. It has served a useful life, but it may be time to shop for a set-up that is conducive to healthier keyboarding.

And, I must start stretching. I have an arsenal of yoga tapes, DVD's and routines. I know how good it feels to stretch those muscles.

I'd like to blame my lack of motivation on something. Today, I'm blaming this low-grade, ever-present pain-in-my-neck. Every time that I am idle, I am grabbing a pillow and finding a way to support my head.

That doesn't explain why I'm not raking the leaves though. I seem to have an aversion to getting dirty these days. I just don't have the energy to clean up afterwards. Can I blame that on a sore neck too??

No comments:

Post a Comment