Sunday, November 15, 2009

Birthday Buddies

I have many friends that I don't see often ... but when I do, we pick up from where we last left off and go forward from there.

I just came home from supper with one of those special friends.

Our paths crossed in life because my sister is best friends with her cousin (once removed ?). We met because she needed a babysitter and I was babysitting at the time. On the day we met, we discovered that not only did her grandma (who was living with her at the time) teach me piano when I was young ... but we shared the same birthday.

We connected on many levels. She is one of those amazing people that seems to make friends where ever she goes. She is sunny, vibrant and so incredibly friendly. I felt so blessed that she 'adopted' me as her friend.

A decade has passed since we first met, and our lives have gone in separate directions.
But we still keep in touch. For years, it was a weekly email ritual. But life got hectic and bit by bit, those emails diminished. I always knew that we were simply a phone call or an email away. But I felt badly that I'd let that connection fade.

A little while ago (for no special reason), I sent her an email. I was so delighted not only to find a speedy response from her ... but she had actually gone to her computer that morning to send me a message (only to find mine first).

These neat little coincidences of thinking of some one at the same time as they are thinking of you, send a chill through me every time. I love the fact that we seem to be on the same wave length even though it has been months since we last talked.

Our most special tradition is our annual birthday supper. This is a birthday treat that I eagerly anticipate. I think that it's because of our shared birthday. No one's special day ... but an excuse for both of us to indulge ourselves in an evening out. Our annual supper is our gift to each other and to ourselves. We are celebrating not only our mutual birthday, but our friendship.

Friends by chance ... a lasting friendship by choice. We wondered aloud tonight, if we would have this connection if we didn't share the same birthdate. We'll never know. I like to think of her as my 'twin' from another mother (and several years later).

I think we are meant to cross paths with certain people. And with the many ways that our lives intersect, I believe we were destined to be friends.

Birthday buddies ... forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment