Thursday, October 29, 2009

Spirit

It's 'School Spirit' this week at my school. I had intended on trying to participate but I got caught up in the rest of life and completely forgot about it until we were well under way with 'Super Hero Day'. The sad part is, that I didn't even realize that I had missed participating until I read a sign that reminded me. I'm not the only one who was lacking in spirit - as I looked around me, I couldn't find a soul that had dressed up for the occasion.

We had a school assembly yesterday and there was a grand total of three students, that had dressed up for the 70 - 80's day (that should have been easy for me ... all I'd have to do is look in my closet and I'm sure I could have come up with something horribly out of date). Retro is my look.

I'm rounding up some school spirit this morning and I've dressed up for the 'Really Formal Thursday'. The sad part is that I probably also qualify for the pajama-day, Super Hero day, 70/80's day and Hallowe'en costume - all wrapped up in one costume.

My dress is as comfortable as an old pair of pj's; the fact that I wore it 7 years ago speaks volumes for the fact that it must have looked better on my leaner/firmer body, so I feel as brave as a Super Hero by wearing it; the dress is so old that I'm sure it would have been fashionable in the 80's; and all I'd have to do is don my 'Miss Understood' sash and tiara and I'm set for Hallowe'en.

It's fun to get wrapped up in the spirit of an occasion. Whether it's school, work or play it brings out a different side of yourself when you dress to the occasion and join in on the fun.

We have several theme dances at the dance studio. As frightening as it is, to go out of your way to dress out of the ordinary it's amazing how fun it is to join in with those who have participated. You feel like a team member. You feel like you belong.

I love wrapping myself up in the spirit of an occasion. Why make it an occasion? Why don't I just immerse myself in the spirit of a regularly scheduled day?

No comments:

Post a Comment