Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Quiet Sunday

I woke up to the knowledge that I have nothing that I have to do today. This is not a feeling that I would want to wake up to every day ... but in a while, it is nice.

I didn't want to sleep the morning away, so I kept hitting the snooze button (I didn't want to get up at 5:30, but I didn't want to turn the alarm off altogether). Morning is my favorite time of day and I didn't want to miss a moment.

Thoughts of 'life' are continuously flowing through my brain. Reflections of the day past ... looking forward to the day ahead. Feelings and emotions that are fueled by looking back a little and looking ahead a lot. Gratitude. I waft through my mornings simply grateful for the full day that I have ahead of me. Even a quiet day is a day full of possibilities.

I reread the blogs I updated yesterday and was once again reminded of the small things that elate me.

My daycare blog was updated with a story about actually sitting down with my after school crowd and having a conversation with them on Friday afternoon. There were 6 here after school and most of them were actively involved in talking about their 'inner best'. The middle grades had to bring something to display on their desk, that showcased something that they were good at doing. These displays came home with the kids and promoted a lot of conversation. What I loved most about the whole dialogue was the way each of the kids lit up as they talked about what they were most passionate about in their life. Any one, at any age lights up from within when they talk about something they enjoy.

Our dance blog was updated with a video of our group formation routine. I have watched it over and over again. As I watch the group of us, performing in (close to) perfect synchronicity, it takes me back to all of the trials and tribulations we've had along the way. There are a few in the group that pick up the choreography with little effort. But most of us have to work at it. When you are one of a majority (that has to work hard, to learn a little), there is such a sense of comfort and camaraderie. At times, I have questioned whether joining this group routine was the sane thing for me to do. As the memories of all that it has taken to get from 'there' to 'where we are at' waft through my mind ... I know that I did the right thing. I absolutely love being part of a group effort. I've done it before and I'll do it again. In a word, it is fun!

Then there are the words from my 'Thought Patterns ...' class sifting through my consciousness. I have heard so much of this before, but they are good concepts to keep fresh. They talk a lot about 'positive self talk' ... 'intentionally creating your day/life' ... 'visualization' (seeing/feeling and believing that you can achieve what you set out to do) ... 'setting goals'. I have many personal testimonials for each of these overused catch phrases. When I hear them being talked about in class, I just want to stand in front of the crowd and say "Try it ... it works!!"

I love the thoughts that are free falling from my mind these days. Once in a while, I get caught in a downward spiral of negativity. But there are so many positive forces in my life, that I don't get caught up in it. You don't appreciate the good, without the bad to offset it. So even a bad day is a good thing.

That said ... I shall carry on with my 'quiet Sunday'.

No comments:

Post a Comment