Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Life of a Cat

As I have become the 'chosen one' by our cat ... I somehow feel honored.

Our cat took up sleeping on my bed after I started opening my door at night. Then suddenly, he stopped. I would find him in any one of his favorite sleeping spots in the morning ... but he stopped choosing me. As much of a bed hog that he is, for some reason I felt slighted.

Our cat is a very sociable one. He loves people, kids and activity. He's not one of those cats that hides in secluded spots when things get chaotic. He's grown up in a house full of kids and he's been known to slumber deeply in the midst of kids, noise and confusion. One time, one the kids piled toys up all around and on top of him while he slept. And he just kept on sleeping.

We have thwarted his escape attempts for the most part, this summer. Our friendly cat loves nothing more than to wander the neighborhood and come back when he chooses to do so. Our neighbor tells me that he often comes to call, when he is on the loose. He says hello, plays with their dog and moves on. I'd love to have a little 'kitty-cam' mounted on his forehead, so that I could see where he goes and what he does. I have a strong feeling that he has friends that he drops in on. I can just see him calling on his favorite people and animal friends in the neighborhood ...

He seems to get wound up by company. As we sit and visit in the kitchen, our cat will race through the house at top speed. He howls a little bit as well (in case we missed the blur of black fur as he speeds by). It's as if he is jealous and wants some of the attention.

Every time my mom comes to stay, he parks himself on top of her suitcase at some point. He is black, as is her suitcase. I think he thinks he's camouflaged and we can't see him as he spreads his cat hair and scent to mark his territory. He loves to warm up her bed and generally acts as the good will ambassador to our home.

Any sleep over guests I have, close their bedroom door at night. They have little desire to share their bed and peaceful nights sleep with my friendly ball of fur. Except my uncle. An animal lover at heart, he opened his door at night so that our cat could come and go as he pleased. I think our cat thought that was 'as it should be' and quite enjoyed the liberties he was able to take with that open door policy.

Our cat has no self esteem issues. He loves the people in our world and knows that they will love him back (and I think he thinks it's their loss, if they don't). He graces us with his company and lavishes us with his attention.

I think he loves it best when Kurt and I actually sit down together in the same room and watch a movie. He goes back and forth between us until we have both had the pleasure of loving him. Then he perches himself directly in the middle of us. Surrounded by his two favorite people in the world ... he is content.

I remind him often, that he is very lucky. I look longingly at him, as he lives in a home where he is adored and doted upon. He spends his days lounging about, hanging out with 'his people', eating and drinking whenever the spirit moves him and sitting at the window watching the world (and planning his route for his next escape attempt). He has a pretty good life.

Why am I so full of cat-thoughts this morning? Because I have become his 'chosen one', once more. He started sleeping at the foot of my bed a while ago. And it has become his nightly ritual. Again.

Why do I feel so blessed?

Being 'chosen' by a cat is one of life's greatest gifts. I think he knows this.

No comments:

Post a Comment