Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Holiday For My Mind

Yesterday, I reprioritized the day. It was a holiday so ... I put my want-to-do items ahead of my need-to-do's in the invisible list-of-things-to-do-in-my-mind.

It was wonderful!

I wrote, I did my puzzles, I watched some taped TV programs, I called people, I read ... and I relaxed.

The wonder of it all, is that I would do something on my fun-list-of-things-to-do ... then look at the clock. Then I would marvel at all the time I still had left in the day. I still had time to work ... but later.

By 3 o'clock in the afternoon, all of my fun wishes for the day had been acted upon. So ... I opened 'Pandora's Box'. The box of book keeping work that had yet to be opened.

The things that came out of that box were frightening. A file that was missing ... a journal entry book that I had wanted to have a look at ... many miscellaneous items ... and a huge pile of things-I've-never-done-before-in-my-life.

I puttered with the work that spewed out before me. For 3 hours. 2 of which, I was thinking "am I done yet??" Finally, I piled the papers back where I had found them and closed the dreaded box.

Back to relaxing.

One more task found my way to me before I closed my eyes for the night. A job that I could start and (almost) finish. A job that gave me some satisfaction because it is in the very end stages. It is something I know how to do and feel proficient at. After 3 hours of wading through papers, trying to make sense of things and decrease the overwhelming load ... it felt good to do something that had a finish line.

Yesterday slowed me down. It was a wonderful feeling. The only problem is ... I have lost my momentum. I want to keep moving at this relaxed pace.

The act of slowing down and relaxing was great. But I need to get moving again. Thank goodness it is already Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment