Sunday, October 11, 2009

Goal Setting

My mom tells me that she used to go to bed and map out the next day in her mind. Setting goals ... making an agenda ... these are the thoughts that she used to go to sleep with.

Now that her life has slowed down, there would be a variation of what she will accomplish 'tomorrow'. But I can imagine her trying to fill her last conscious moments of the day with pleasant thoughts.

My dad was a hard worker. I don't know the inner workings of how he thought, but from what I remember and what I hear, I know that he was a goal setter as well.

Together, they were a good team - each of them ambitious and hard working. Things got done.

As I constantly set goals for myself, I hope that I have inherited that trait from my parents.

I've committed myself to many things this past while. I've been overwhelmed and overloaded.

I got selfish this weekend and stayed home to try and accomplish some work-goals as well as make time for rest, relaxation and time with Kurt.

I had the pleasure of letting yesterday unfold in a way that was quite different than the 'Plan A', that I had in mind.

My plan was to put in a full day of work. I also had a smattering of errands to run on the opposite side of the city, so I checked out the closing times of the stores involved and decided 4:15 would be the time that I would have to put work aside and tend to life.

Just as my day got started, a friend who was in the neighborhood called and had time to drop by for a visit. A slight variation in my plans ... but I went with the flow and thoroughly enjoyed the visit.

The rest of the day unfolded according to plan and I was home from my errand-running with supper in hand and had 'booked' the time with Kurt to sit down and finish watching a movie.

Ahhh ... the good life.

Exhaustion set in early. I simply couldn't function or keep my eyes open by 8:00. So I went to bed.

This morning, my pre-waking thoughts were of the 'goals verses reality' theme. I set many, many goals. I achieve a lot of them ... but not all.

I never want to lose this drive. My goals may change as my life goes on ... but I do hope that my life always keeps me busy enough to go to sleep, excited about what the next day will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment