Thursday, October 15, 2009

Dreams Do Make Wishes Come True

"Make it your intention to look at everything you like and say to yourself, 'I can afford that. I can buy that.' You will shift your thinking and begin to feel better about money." - The Secret

I read these things and internalize them yet ... even to me, these words sound just a little bit hokey.

But then ... I look at my life.

Financially, my life is rather idyllic. There is absolutely no reason that it should be (okay, working definitely helps the situation). But I am going to school and surviving on what the Student Loan Programs says is sufficient (most people disagree). And we are living comfortably.

Granted, our grocery bill has been slashed to a mere fraction of what it used to be. And I feel busier than ever, so there isn't a lot of spare time to go around spending money. But it is the little every day miracles that keep me believing in 'The Secret's' premise.

Yesterday I blogged about my wish for a fairy godmother to come and grant me enough 'magic' to deal with my lack of costuming for the upcoming dance showcase. And yes ... that pixie dust was sprinkled on me once again.

It started, by looking in my closet to see if I had any clothes that could be used for a Hallowe'en costume. I have a few occasions where I could use a costume and I just can't see spending money on one. It is often amazing what one can come up with when you just look around. So ... I opened my closet.

As I sifted through the clothes-less-worn, I stumbled upon a glittery red halter top which would be ideal for a top for one of my dance costumes. I had absolutely no clue where the top came from. It wasn't mine ... unless I bought it and put it aside for a rainy day. But I just don't do things like that (I found out later in the day, that my fashionable mother gave it to me after she decided that she didn't have a use for it).

Then, I stumbled across my 'blasted red ballgown'. And ... like Cinderella's slipper, I thought I would just try it on. I have avoided this because it just isn't good for one's ego to have items of clothing go no farther than your thighs. I didn't need that slap of reality. I've come to terms with the new-sized-me. But I don't dwell in the past where I used to fit comfortably into a smaller size.

I stepped into the gown and wiggled into it (even 10 pounds ago, I had to squeeze and squirm my way into the too-small-opening). And it fit!

Granted, it looked better on me 10 pounds ago. But ... in a pinch, I could wear it.

I wished aloud yesterday morning ... and by supper time, my invisible fairy godmother had waved her magic wand and I had 2 costumes that I could wear to the ball!

Fast forward to our group formation class at the dance studio last night. Our instructor tossed the idea out, that he would like to see us continue to add onto and hone this routine after the dance showcase ... so that we could 'take it on the road' and perform it in Quebec in February.

Quebec in February isn't everyone's dream. But I've had one wish when it comes to dancing. And it is to be able to go to just one competition. Just once. If a group of 10 of us went, it would cut costs substantially and make it something worth considering. I came home and did some sleuthing (to find the 'where' and 'when' of it all) ... and it could be possible. It's not completely out of the realm of my reality.

I reread 'The Secret' quote from yesterday (you may need to reread it by now - it is at the top of todays blog) ... and I went to sleep last night believing in fairytale endings.

Yes, some days I do feel like Cinderella. But better. I don't need a prince to ride into my life on his white steed and whisk me away to a better life. I'm already living it.

No comments:

Post a Comment