Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Technical Difficulties

As I've spent the past few days fighting with a program on the computer and trying to make it work for me, I exhausted my mental resources.

I don't mind the battle, if I've got something to show for it at the end.

Yesterday, at the end of a very long evening, I had finally accomplished what I had set out to do ... but I still couldn't work with what I had. I was deflated.

Then, I took a breath and stepped away.

I decided to take one step away from technology (sending a file via email), another step sideways (saving the book to a CD) and one step forward and do whatever it takes to complete the job (send it via 'snail mail').

That is what I'm doing this morning (except there is one final revision that I want to make, which means entirely redoing everything that I did yesterday).

As the computer slowed down to what feels like a turtle's pace yesterday (in this world of hi-tech speed and efficiency), all I could think is "please ... don't break down on me now!" And it didn't.

My technology is holding up.

My trusty steed(s). A computer that just keeps going ... which reminds me of all of that I have, that makes my life so much simpler. I have a computer. And ... a car that continues to get me where I need to go ... a home that shelters my family ... a supply of groceries on hand that sustains us. But most importantly, a body that just keeps going.

Not only do I have the ability to challenge my brain by going to school, work on book projects and doing my book keeping. I have a body that is strong and hardy. It weathers the storms and just keeps ticking (for which I'm eternally grateful).

Technical difficulties or not. I'm moving on.

No comments:

Post a Comment