Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"Mother, Can You Spare an Hour?"

Kurt gingerly approached me last night, as I sat at the computer (quite literally surrounded by the boxes of work that I require, to do my next book keeping task) and said that he really felt like cashing in one of his birthday coupons. The one that gave him "One hour of my time (redeemable any evening - just let me know that you need some time with me)."

I uttered the words 'Oh no', as I was knee deep in my newest work project. And he walked away. I thought that he had given up on me ... again. But he returned about a half an hour later, with his coupon in hand.

And I walked away from my work. I forewarned him that I had left a phone message for someone and I was expecting a call. But we sat down and turned on a movie anyway.

The phone rang and I was back to our movie and our 'hour' within 15 minutes.

It was wonderful.

As much as he simply needed to share some physical space with me ... I needed the same. I just didn't recognize it.

An hour was perfect. Any longer, and I would have fallen asleep. Any shorter, and it wouldn't have been long enough.

Just time. Time to sit still. Time to share a couch. Time to turn out the rest of the world and responsibilities.

Sometimes ... we all just need a little time.

I returned the coupon to Kurt. I think I need to walk away from my obligations sometime and focus on what is truly important.

I'm making time for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment