Monday, September 7, 2009

It Was Worth It

The frantic pace of last week had a purpose. I had the choice to slow down at any given moment. There was not one demand on my time that wasn't optional. But my goal was to complete my work so that I could relax and enjoy the weekend without any obligations hanging over my head. And I succeeded.

The weekend has been a gift.

I had a very good friend arrange a 'fun' weekend for us. A little getaway-from-it-all for each of the people who came.

I am blessed to have such amazing friends. The kind of people who sprinkle a little pixie dust where ever they go and leave a little bit of magic in their wake.

Our weekend had a very loose agenda. Kurt ended up coming along ... and my friend even managed to arrange the most perfect company for Kurt for the weekend. The boys got along so well and any time we stopped to listen, there was a quiet, easy rapport between them. They seemed to speak the same 'language', enjoy many of the same things and their time together seemed to go by very easily.

Kurt is quite accustomed to following me where ever our lives may take us. He may not love being my constant companion, but he has learned to adapt and make the best of things. He would have been okay on his own. But he was so much happier because he had a friend. My friend 'saw' this in her vision of our weekend. So not only did she arrange a most enjoyable weekend for me ... but it was so much better because Kurt was enjoying himself just as much as I was.

We met up with a friend who is a ray of sunshine, a vibrant source of energy, enthusiasm, inspiration and hope. Another one of those people that I am honored to call 'my friend'.

I think the 3 of us could have sat on a rock under a tree and had a most marvelous visit. But instead we walked a little, talked a lot and ate when necessary.

At one point in our planning, I had suggested going to get a pedicure and have a little 'group pampering session'. It was an idea that I didn't follow through on, because of our younger companions and not wanting to interrupt the flow of our visit with an appointment to rush off to. Instead ... this most amazing friend of mine arranged for a 'spa treatment' of our very own. We gave ourselves pedicures, facials and even a wax hand treatment. We were pampered, we laughed and once again ... we simply enjoyed the easy companionship of the weekend.

There is a great amount of yin and yang between this most incredible circle of friends. "Yin and yang are complementary opposites within a greater whole. Everything has both yin and yang aspects, which constantly interact, never existing in absolute stasis." We often marvel at the ever shifting tides that have evolved over the course of our friendship. I believe that each personality within the group has a most special gift. The gifts change, evolve, ebb and flow. We have seen each other through many challenges and celebrations of life. Our lives have taken us to many different places ... yet we continue to connect. Our friendship grows along with the many changes in our lives.

I worked frantically to clear the slate for this weekend. To come home and not have a mountain of work greeting me at the door has given me the gift of being able to simply sit back and marvel over the wonder of the weekend.

A gift like no other.

"Each friend represents a world in us,
a world possibly not born until they arrive,
and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
- Anais Nin

No comments:

Post a Comment