Thursday, September 10, 2009

Expanding the Mind

I'm diligently trying to breeze through the courses that precede what I have set out to learn (as I am trying to earn an education that will give me the tools that I need to take on more book keeping work).

Introduction to Personal Computers; Introduction to Keyboarding; Windows XP - Level 1; Keyboard Skill Building. B-O-R-I-N-G. And tedious.

But there is always more to learn, a skill that can be honed.

As I wade through the courses on computers, I am learning. I have figured out how to navigate on a computer (mostly through trial and error) but in the process there are many things that I have missed. The icons on the tool bar that I didn't understand (thus, I didn't use them); drop down boxes that I had never noticed before on the 'go back' buttons; ''Rover'' as my Search Companion (press the Start key on your computer; press the Search button on the menu that pops up and see if you have a Search Companion).

My keyboarding skills are more than adequate for my needs. Those typing classes that I took in high school gave me the tools that I needed to navigate a keyboard with ease. I thought the keyboarding classes would be a waste of time and energy. But I'm gaining speed, learning how to better navigate the number row and I'm working on accuracy.

My vision is expanding and I am seeing more on the computer and learning more than I thought that I could with these introductory classes.

Life is like that. We learn how to navigate through our lives. We do what we must do to get by. We learn things on a need-to-know-basis. And even when we do that, we continue to add to our life skills. There are always surprises around the next corner and some new 'skill' we must add to our repertoire of dealing with life's surprises.

I think that is the reason that I love to read. Granted, my reading is for entertainment value. But what I gain by reading fiction and blogs of real-life people is a different way of looking at the same situation. A person simply can't experience all that life has to offer (and you wouldn't want to), but by reading something that reaches out and touches you ... you gain more empathy and a wider vision.

I like to exercise my mind and try to expand my understanding, knowledge and view of the world. I've experienced enough 'learning curves' in my personal life to give me a wider realm of empathy. I have gained the confidence to talk to more people and learn from others (this amazed me as we acted 'the tourist' during our vacation ... every experience was enhanced by talking to and asking questions of those who were leading our tours).

As I open up my books teaching more about computers than I ever thought I would need to know, I've opened up myself. There is so much more to learn than meets the eye. So many shortcuts and helpful tools available than I ever realized.

I could have possibly passed these courses without reading the material. But 'a pass' isn't what I'm after. I have set out to gain as much as I can from this educational experience. I've set the bar high enough that I will have to work to attain what I want to from these courses.

For years,I did the same thing with my life. I eked by, learned what I needed to know, as I needed to know it and I seemed to be continually surprised by the next 'life lesson' that was tossed my way.

It has only been in the past few years that I have reached far out of my comfort zone and dared to experience life by drawing new challenges, people and dynamics into my regularly scheduled life.

I was happy before. But I'm happier now. I not only dare to dream ... but I reach out and try to make some of those dreams come true.

It's like those many tools that are available on the computer screen that I didn't even 'see' before. It's all right there in front of you. You just have to expand your horizons, your knowledge and sense of adventure ... and learn to experience and appreciate everything that is already right there in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment