Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Date With a Lawn Swing

As I entered the weekend and looked longingly at my deck and my lack of using it all last week, I made a 'date' to sit back and relax at some point over the long weekend.

Yesterday was the day. I grabbed a pillow, a book, a blanket and the phone and set out on my big adventure.

I thought of a call I could make ... but I thought that I would take time for 'me' first. I never did make the call.

The phone rang and it was for me. But somehow the voice on the other end picked up my relaxed state and talked only a short time. I was back to just me, my book and the lawn swing.

Someone dropped by and could have stopped for a short visit. But the visual of me, my book and blanket on the lawn swing must not have had an invitation written all over it. They came and went quickly. And it was just me and the lawn swing once again.

I brought out a pen and note pad because often, the moment I sit down I must figure something out or start a list or write down rambling thoughts to follow up on later.

At the end of my date with the lawn swing, I picked up the pen and empty pad of paper. My mind took a vacation and I had no thoughts that were worthy of following up on.

I took the afternoon off. I had tended to all must-do items on my agenda and granted myself the afternoon.

I finished reading a book. I nodded off from time to time. The weather was a tad on the cool side as I reclined in the shade and the wind found its way to the side of the house that I was on.

Nothing was to deter me. I grabbed a blanket, put up my feet and revelled in the ease of the day.

It's been a very, very long time since I had a date with my lawn swing and such complete ease with a day.

My mind was close to blank. No to-do-lists running through my mind. I wasn't mapping out the week ahead. I didn't have ideas to follow up on. Nothing.

Just me, my book and my lawn swing.

It was a most excellent way to spend a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment