Sunday, August 23, 2009

A Song in My Soul

I woke up this morning with the fun and peppy song that we will be choreographing a dance routine to, in my mind. It's still there.

I often have a song running through my mind, my fingertips, my heart or my soul. My fingers are rarely idle. When they aren't finding their way around the computer keyboard, they are working, picking away at something or tapping out the beat to some song that I don't even know that I'm 'hearing' within the confines of my mind.

When I drive, I usually have a soundtrack of a song in my mind. I usually default to 'Calypso Boy' (a song that I memorized on the piano for a talent show that I was in, when I was young), when my mind is void of all other music. My fingers still know the first moves to that song (I should try them on the piano keyboard to see if they still remember where to go).

Unconsciously, I beat out the song in my head, with my ring tapping against the steering wheel. I remember my friend asking me what I was doing (we were 18 or 19 years old at the time). The steering wheel in my 1965 Plymouth was a hard plastic. My ring resonated nicely with the beat against my pseudo drum.

A few years ago, I was asked the same thing as we drove along the highway. I rhymed off the name of the song that was in my fingertips that day and shook my head. I wondered where in the world that music came from. We had been to a wedding and some time afterwards, I watched a video of the song that the bride sang to during the karaoke portion of the dance. It was the same song that was oozing out my fingertips a few days later. I was impressed with my fingers ability to beat out the tune (that I didn't even remember) that had been a part of our evening.

Lately, I've been concerned. I haven't had music playing in the car as much. I enjoy the quietness of my thoughts running through my mind. Apparently, the soundtrack has been turned off. I noticed that my fingers are beating out the tune of the signal light. I thought 'How boring!' I tried to bring up the music of the song that we will be choreographing a dance to. Nothing. It's a fun song and makes you want to dance. I wanted to unearth it from my consciousness. It didn't happen, so I turned on some music and started singing and tapping out the tune to something that was a little peppier than the beat of the signal light.

I came home and worked. I didn't turn on music and the only soundtrack of last night was the beat of my fingertips against the computer keyboard. Click, click, click ...

You can imagine my delight and surprise when I woke up this morning with the music that I had tried to find in my mind, last night. It is such an upbeat song that makes you want to move.

I love waking up with a song in my heart. It has set the tone for a very good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment