Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Laughter

"Laughter is the best medicine"

As I was leaving the dance studio last night and saying my good-byes to someone who I hadn't seen for a while, I asked if she would be returning next week. To encourage her, I mentioned how much she laughed and appeared to enjoy the evening. Her response was, "We laugh all the time at home" ... Wow. They are living the good life.

I associate fun and laughter with the dance studio. How the instructors continue to smile and laugh throughout their days amazes me. But they do. For the brief half hour or hour that I am there, I am swept up in their joy and forget life at home. Not that there is anything wrong with my life ... but it's nice to have that 'happy place' to go to.

As my new, fall schedule (back to the books and trying to juggle work, school, kids, errands and a life) is on the horizon, I was overjoyed to realize that my private dance lesson now falls on the same evening as the group classes. One night out of the house and it will encompass everything I enjoy at the dance studio. One precious night to call 'my own'.

Last night, I was approached about joining a 'group formation' class. One extra evening at the studio, with a group of people who are there because they want to be a part of a group dance which will be performed at the dance showcase in November. Ten weeks to learn a dance, be surrounded with people that make me laugh and the end result would be to perform our creation in front of an audience.

I cringed at the thought of giving up that evening. I don't know what my pressures are going to be like in the fall and I know that I need to keep a sane balance of work, pleasure, family and down-time. One extra night at the studio??

Then ... I listened to my response to the friend who had told me that they laugh all the time in their home. I said "That's why I dance ... the laughter. I don't laugh at home" ... (well I do, but it's just not quite the same as my night out, at the dance studio).

Ten weeks. At the beginning of my school term where the pressures shouldn't be too taxing. A small financial commitment and one extra hour, surrounded with people who laugh easily and love to dance.

The more I think about it, the more I know that I have to find a way to keep dancing throughout my upcoming school term. Where there is a will, there is a way. I have a solution in mind ... I just have to follow through on it.

I am saying "YES!" to the group formation class. I know that I would be disappointed in myself, if I didn't.

When you see something right in front of you, that brings nothing but joy to your life ... reach out and grab it.

No comments:

Post a Comment