Monday, August 17, 2009

Books, Books and More Books

It seems that my life is all about 'books' these days ...

My friend and I are working to put her family history together in the form of a book. This past weekend, we were both consumed with tending to the project ... and it is now in the final stretch. We started this project Aug 27th of last year. Completing it close to that anniversary feels good. It feels right.

Then, I have my book keeping that has been put to the side all weekend. It is sitting beside me just begging to be worked on and out of my door. This is a 'book' project that has quicker deadlines. The work comes in waves. Overwhelming and immense for a while ... then ... nothing. It's nice to see it come and it's better to see it go.

And ... my mind is consumed with the idea that I will quite literally be 'hitting the books' as I start school in 2 weeks. Books to read, learn from and study. Books that will lead my life in the direction that I want it to go.

With my upcoming school budget ever on my mind, I am continually working on a way of keeping the bank 'book' in check. I have lists, budgets, goals and back up plans on little scraps of paper. Whenever I sit down, I'm looking at 'the books' and a way to make sure that this works financially.

My own family history 'book' project seems to be on a back burner for now. But I have an idea that may spur on some activity in that area, without overtaxing my time. Since this is a collective story project, a few emails at a time ... I just may be able to find some memories to tuck into the 'memory file' of this book project. I don't want it to get lost in the shuffle of all that I have going on this next year. I need to find a sane way to keep a small amount of my attention and time working on it. Piece by piece. Like the patchwork quilt of stories that I hope to collect ... I hope that this book comes together in a way that it is a family story. Told by the family.

Then there are the books that I so enjoy reading. I love to lose myself in a piece of fiction. My 'home away from home' ... within my home. I love when my imagination takes me places that I've never dreamed I could go. I always have a book that I am reading. I have a stockpile of them. So when one is finished, I know there is another to take its place.

With all of these 'books' in my life, I am never alone. I'm never bored and I'm continually challenged and interested about one of the many books that I have on the go at all times. It makes for a most excellent rainy day weekend project. And boy, did it rain. All weekend.

I sat down and had coffee with a friend who doesn't have the luxury of having so many indoor projects to keep his mind and body busy during inclement weather. I thought of how sad that must be. To have one's life fully hinge on the weather? Not an option in my take of 'life and how you deal with it.' When life hands you rain, learn to swim and enjoy it! (or else build an ark and endure it with friends).

I didn't leave the house for 2 solid days. I didn't spend a penny during those days. I was completely entertained, amused, challenged and busy for the entirety of the weekend. Did I care that it rained? All I could think of, was how happy that my thirsty grass must be.

The sun is shining this morning, as a new week dawns. I hope this fair weather that provides a sunny backdrop to the day doesn't interfere with my plans to 'hit the books' again today. I have some 'books' that need to be tended and find their way out the door.

Books to write, books to keep, books to learn from, books to balance and books to read. Books to provide future generations with a wealth of information about their family, books that provide my present day income, books that provide education and a future income, books to make sure that I make the most of the income that I do have coming in and books that provide nothing but pleasure and entertainment.

Books! Books! Books!! You are never alone when you have a book at your side.

No comments:

Post a Comment