Monday, July 13, 2009

The Past ... The Future

I have such a vivid picture in my mind of where I want my life to lead. I can see it, feel it and believe in it.

It involves a 'simple plan' of buying and restoring a home that my grandparents once owned.

This dream would take years to accomplish, more than a few miracles and a tremendous amount of money and skilled labor. But I can visualize the end result in my mind.

I started thinking of my desire to have a place to hold a family reunion and I thought of this house that belongs to our past.

A place to house a few guests, park a few trailers and gather the family.

The house would be restored with en suites off each bedroom, the veranda would become an all season sun room, the back half of the house and entrance (which would also have a 4 season sun room) would be 'just for me' ... and I would run a Bed and Breakfast.

The barn would be restored (or rebuilt) and it would be a place to house large gatherings - family reunions, weddings, dances and holiday gatherings.

There would be a ball diamond, fire pit and picnic area. The barn would have modern washroom facilities (accessible from inside and out). There would be a handful of camping spots, picnic tables, park benches, a screened in gazebo and the yard would feel like a park.

During the summer, it would host reunions, weddings and family celebrations.

During the winter, it would be an oasis of relaxation and a place to gather small groups of family members and have a 'memory gathering session' where I would help people recall pieces of their history that they want to pass on to future generations. We would record it in some fashion and they would have a piece of their history to take home with them.

I can envision the barn being a place to host dances and group functions ... being a dance or music studio ... or refuge from inclement weather.

I love the idea of having a home that welcomes people and gives them a little retreat, where they can be as independent or as dependent as they want to be. Cozy little conversation nooks ... inviting and comfortable reading spots ... or a place to simply sit in the sun and watch the birds.

A peaceful, little oasis ... with a great amount of history. This is what I picture in my future.

1 comment:

  1. I can almost see your vision. And it looks exciting. Since I'm not a wise old man yet, I figured I'd look up some quotes from people who are wise.

    The person who gets the furthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare. The sure-thing boat never gets from the shore-Dale Carnegie

    The successful always has a number of projects planned, to which he looks forward. Anyone of them could change the course of his life overnight-Mark Caire

    There are three ingredients in the good life: learning,earning and yearning-Christopher Morley

    ReplyDelete