Saturday, July 11, 2009

One Step Out of the Norm

I can't have my breakfast smoothie and coffee this morning. I'm at the tail end of a 12 hour fast that is required before I get some blood work done today. So I'm just a bubble off centre at the moment.

I don't jump out of bed thinking of my breakfast. But I do jump out of bed thinking of exercise (and water) or writing (and coffee). "Nothing to eat, drink or smoke for 12 hours" is what I was told. The eating and smoking part is a cinch. Drinking? I've had a little tickle in the back of my throat and an unquenched thirst since just before this small fast.

It is the small things that I associate with that cup of coffee. It isn't the flavor of the coffee itself - it is the good feelings that I get as I go about my 'I'll just grab a cup of coffee' rituals.

I grab a coffee as I sit and enjoy my favorite morning reading. I grab a coffee as I blog, as I email or as I write a letter. I make a cup of coffee if I'm chatting on the phone at length or if someone drops by for a visit. Coffee is simply associated with things that make me relaxed and happy. It isn't the coffee I love, as much as the things I associate it with.

As I sit here and type this decaffeinated message, my fingers are hitting the wrong keys and my words feel sluggish. When I stop to think about what I'm going to write next, I don't have my coffee to sip on. It's just me and the computer.

I love the little rituals I have in my life. There are many things that I do, that signal down time or work or creativity.

I like to nurture my 'creative side' before the day begins. So I write (and have my coffee).

I like to set goals for what I hope to accomplish in the day. Food and drinks are not a part of the work cycle of my day.

I like to clear my vision of 'work' and I declutter the day that I lived as the day winds to a close. I like to sit still with my supper and savor every morsel.

I like to put my feet up and relax as the evening unfolds. I grab a book and something to nibble on and my day is complete.

My reward system is definitely food and drink related. Coffee in the morning, water throughout the day. But food ... don't even let me think about that. I've still got 3 hours before I can fulfill that daily requirement!

It's good to take a walk on the wild side now and then. But just let me take my coffee with me ...

No comments:

Post a Comment