Thursday, July 30, 2009

A New Road

I've had a hard time maintaining a positive outlook within my daycare career for the last very long while.

A year and a half ago, I started up a daycare blog for my families that revived my interest and got me focused on the positive. It was a good route to go and I highly recommend focusing on the positive in any situation. I got excited about my job again and I was thrilled to find a way to communicate with my parents that made all of us feel more involved and in the know.

Then I had my hernia surgery last fall. The doctor enforced 6 week slow-down (I didn't take care of anyone under the age of 4 years old) was heavenly. I knew after that, that I wanted to cut back on my daycare load and take on more book keeping. But ... the calls kept coming in for new children and destiny didn't place any more book keeping opportunities at my feet. So I was content to follow the path of least resistance.

Winter was very long and spring was longer. I was ready to look at any new options and I was considering a lot of different scenarios for a very long time. The one that kept 'speaking' to me was the plan to go back to school and persue my interest in taking up book keeping.

I researched the decision by calling several schools and getting information sent to me. I called a friend who is in the accounting business and got her advise. I discovered that I should go to school full time for 4 years (or part time for 8 or more years) to work towards the degree I should get to do what I want to do. It sounded like an illusive dream. So I tabled the idea.

Then ... a friend rekindled my interest by suggesting that I at least inquire about student loans. Then ... one of the schools that I had been in contact with, called me and they provided the flexibility that I needed to make this work. Then ... I realized that with this flexibility, I could still take care of school aged kids and keep working at my book keeping job. So the financial aspect was looking a little less frightening.

I had to explore all options, so I approached my employer (where I'm on a one year leave of absence) and asked about work from home opportunities. As I awaited the response, I researched the school further and gave myself a deadline to make my decision.

If I could work from home with my existing employer, I would table the idea of furthering my education. If not, I would look long and hard at the reality of pursuing an education and getting experience in the field I want to work in.

When my employer responded to my work-from-home query with nothing to offer and encouraged me to pursue my book keeping option, that is what I did. I took several days to think on it. Today, I made further inquiries and made 'my final decision'.

I am enrolled to start my classes September 1st. This is all pending and my ultimate decision must be made after I find out what amount of student loan I qualify for. But to me, the decision is made right now. I can't give my parents a 'maybe' one month notice. I have to let them know that 'yes' I will be able to continue with my daycare indefinitely ... or not. Wishy washy dates don't work, when you are dealing with families that have to find alternate care for their children. I may have to make a last ditch contingency plan in case my funding isn't adequate ... but I'm pretty firm in my decision to go through with my education plan.

As I was wavering in my last hours of the day before I knew (in my mind) that I would be making the ultimate decision, I kept considering the alternative. If I don't go through with this decision, am I prepared to continue with the daycare indefinitely? No. Am I prepared to go back to my old job and work full time and relinquish my stay-at-home-mom-role? No.

I am dedicated to the idea of working from home. And this is the new road that I must explore to make an opportunity to leave the daycare business in favor of the number business.

It's risky taking new roads. I like my old, familiar paths and routines. But the adventure of the brand new journey usually makes it worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment