Friday, July 24, 2009

Life's Excesses - Part 2

I have watched several episodes on Oprah that shows the excessive and wasteful lifestyles of many people. Although I don't live a life where I'm deprived of anything and I generally have the ability to fulfill most of my material longings, I feel that very little goes to waste in our home.

As most of my days revolve around taking care of my daycare family (and feeding them is a big part of that responsibility), I am rather proud of the fact that very little food goes to waste.

When I am around others and sometimes see the food that gets thrown in the garbage, I almost physically cringe.

Granted when it comes to dining out, the portions that are doled out are far too excessive. It's hard to gauge what to order, when you are in an unfamiliar restaurant. But over the course of time, one does learn what meals work best in the name of waste. We take food home more often than not, but on the occasions where bringing the leftovers home isn't an option, I do try to order what I feel Kurt and I can consume together.

Eating at home is another matter. I would rather dole out 3 small helpings, than 1 large one (and throw half of it in the garbage). My mantra with the kids is: you can always ask for more ... but if it sits uneaten on your plate, it is garbage. So I keep the serving sizes small.

The rule with my daycare family is 'you have to eat what is on your plate before you can ask for seconds'. I learn what the kids really like or dislike and portion their plates accordingly. The food that goes to waste is normally only what falls on the floor (and I'm adamant about eating over their plate, so the food falls on the plate not on the floor ... so there really isn't a lot of food spillage) or if some one is feeling under the weather and I've misjudged their appetite.

Then there is the fresh food that cycles through the fridge. There was a time when I had the best of intentions when I went shopping (and bought all sorts of fruits and vegetables) and the reality of living (cooking easy meals or going out and having the fresh food go to waste). But I have wisened up, over the years.

I like to keep a fresh supply of fruit rotating through the fridge when it is in season. Recently I believe that one of my nectarines went bad before it got eaten but on the whole, nothing gets thrown out before it spoils. I do the same with vegetables (keeping more on hand when I'm in the thick of 'soup season').

As the contents of the fruit and vegetable crispers keep circulating, I do a silent little cheer when I acknowledge the fact that nothing has gone to waste.

Dairy products are the same, though I sometimes fail when it comes to the less used dairy items. I still do my best to watch the expiry dates and plan our meals accordingly.

I have an excess 'stock' of non perishable groceries and supplies on hand. Every time I run out of something and I have the ability to run downstairs and replenish the kitchen supply, I am grateful. Not only do I have the convenience of having to run downstairs and retrieve something ... but I have the ability to accumulate some reserves.

I feel that the respect that I show for the food in our home, the money it takes to purchase it and the fact that many people would love to have the food options that we do ... places a value on our 'assets'.

It seems that when a person respects money, it is returned to you. Waste not, want not. If you spend within your means and purchase only what you know you can consume or use, there is often a small reward. An unexpected cheque in the mail or small bonus you weren't expecting.

This reward system with money has happened time and time again in my life. When I don't throw my money away, it seems that money comes to me. Sometimes through an opportunity to earn it or a way to save money on something on my budget or a credit balance on a utility bill. It may not be winning the lottery, but in my world it is. Anything that I receive that is unexpected, is a gift.

In this life of excess, I try to not to waste what I have been given. It seems to be working for me ..

No comments:

Post a Comment