Friday, July 17, 2009

Calm Within?

Well, part one of my two part visit is a memory. A good one. The only thing that I would do differently if I could do it all over again is to fill the propane tank before I invited guests over for a BBQ. Maybe I would remember to bring out such things as margarine, salt, pepper and cheese for our hamburgers. Maybe not? I don't mind being reminded of such things. The propane however? I would fill it in the land of 'redoing'.

Did I remain calm as per my plan? Pretty much. Of course there is a little work involved but I don't think that I immersed myself in it. I had a chance to sit (or stand) and visit with my guests. I caught my breath and enjoyed many moments.

Of course I had help. My brother manned the BBQ and my sister and brother in law made many, many trips to their RV to supply us not only with propane ... but various beverages, lawn chairs, eating utensils and the list goes on! It makes it ever so much easier on the host, when good help was not only within reach ... but intuitively knew what I needed before I did (back to the propane again).

It was a relaxed evening. It appeared that everyone felt comfortable and I didn't get the feeling that anyone felt left out. Of course there was the rambling of my brother in law who continually reminded me of how many times he had run out to their trailer to get something for me. But some people ... you just have to tune out (I think it was done 90% in jest; 10% serious ... though I could be wrong).

The important thing is that I'm not beating myself up this morning thinking of all that I should have done differently or better. That was not the case the last time I had company over. I don't enjoy living in the land of regret. It is a futile and pointless place to be, any longer than it takes to retrieve the 'lesson learned' and walk away from it without remorse.

I have the greatest family. They pick up from where I leave off and the complete ensemble helped to create the ambiance that I believe we all (?) enjoyed.

I believe that I did carry a piece of calmness within me last night. The trick is to just keep on doing that for the rest of my uncle's visit and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment