Saturday, June 13, 2009

Undo Verses Redo

Life doesn't have an undo button ... but it does have a 'redo' one.

But is that a good thing? Let me think.

Having a second chance at making My Youngest's birthday more memorable was good. This week gave me many opportunities to undo last weekend's fiasco's. Starting with last Friday night.

I raced around like a crazy woman after supper last Friday. I ran and got a quick hair cut and picked up some 'cross trainers' to give my poor feet some support as I did my exercising on the basement floor.

Saturday, was our 'birthday adventure' to a hotel that didn't live up to their web site's promises. I mentioned this to one of the staff (the staff were all wonderful) and he suggested that I make a comment to that effect. So I did.

A few days later, I received a reply to my comment and a promise that they would be forwarding a voucher for a free nights lodging at any one of their hotels (with no expiry date). I was pleased with their response and the fact that the 'redo' option was available. Maybe our first experience wasn't what we expected ... but I'm all for second chances.

Then came the running shoes. They felt wonderful ... until they were put to the test. Running on the spot for 20 minutes was excruciating in every way. No shock absorbing sensation on the balls of my feet and the shoes were not wide enough across my feet. I wondered if I could still return them after putting them to the test.

The hair? It got worse every day. The hairdresser told me to come back if I had any problems as they always do. My haircuts are not always ideal at first but I rarely (if ever) take them up on their offer. But this time I thought that I would. My hair definitely needed to be thinned out and maybe some kind of style?

By the time Friday rolled around again, I was eager to try and 'undo' the mistakes of the previous Friday.

I went to the shoe store and explained that the shoes just didn't provide the comfort and support for what I needed. The clerk was very helpful and explained that I should have a different type of running shoe. They didn't have what I needed in my size. So they refunded my money. The 'undo' button in real life. The ability to return merchandise that doesn't meet your needs is a wonderful option. I would have preferred to have the running shoes that I needed but a good second choice was refunding my money. I was a satisfied customer.

Then ... came the hair. I just wanted a 'redo'. I didn't end up with the same hairdresser but the one that I got was in total agreement that the style that I ended up with, left me looking like I still needed a haircut. So she cut. And cut. And cut. Granted, I did tell her that I didn't mind if I ended up a little shorter and I was looking for a 'twispy' look that could enhance the natural curl that I have.

Long story short ... there is no 'undoing' my new haircut. It's not at all what I hoped for, she cut off all of the locks that I had painstakingly grew out ... and I'm back to where I was a year ago. Only I don't even like the style that I'm starting out with. Only time will give me the option of redoing what she has done.

Oh well. 3 out of 4 redo/undo options went well (if I count the second chance I got on My Youngest's birthday). That's really not bad odds, all things considered.

There are often chances to undo or redo things in life. If you have the option and don't take it ... there is no one to blame for it but yourself. If you have the option and you do take it ... it can still end up better/worse/or much the same. But at least you know that you tried.

There are often times when only time can undo a bad decision (or haircut). One never knows ... sometimes you need that bad 'haircut' in life to set you off in a new direction. When the undo option doesn't work, maybe there is a purpose to it after all (in the mean time, I'm grateful that I don't have a lot of mirrors in the house).

No comments:

Post a Comment