Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Memory Gathering

Just when I was in need of reminding me what my priorities should be, I was greeted by a few prompts this morning.

The first email that I opened this morning was from an uncle who will be coming to visit next month. I went out to start 'collecting memories' of my dad's family last winter and I'm working on this project (but it keeps getting put on a back burner). His upcoming visit is the nudge that I need to push me into moving forward with the work I've been putting aside the past few months.

The next email I opened was of an inspirational sort - and what was it about? "Story Corps - an independent nonprofit project whose mission is to honor and celebrate one another’s lives through listening.

By recording the stories of our lives with the people we care about, we experience our history, hopes, and humanity."

If this wasn't enough, the next thing I did was go to read the daily update on a blog that I'm following. I clicked on the comments that were made on the blog and randomly, I chose to click on the blog of someone who had made a comment. The blog was titled "Women Who Run With Wolves" And what was her blog about?? She was honoring the memories that she hears every time she is with her aunts who live in Belgium, who have many stories to tell.

It seemed that I was being reminded of what is truly important at every turn this morning. From the inspirational email that I receive regularly, speaking directly to me ... to the random blog that I checked out ... to the reality that my uncle will be here before I know it. And I really must get to work!!

Moss has been gathering under me as I sit and procrastinate. Forces greater than myself are telling me what is truly important.

Collecting memories, listening and writing down little pieces of family stories is something that you can't do if you put it off too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment