Wednesday, June 24, 2009

"Don't Jinx Yourself"

I have noticed that I have had this phrase spoken to me on a rather regular basis lately. I don't believe it for a moment.

I regularly voice my appreciation for what is good in my life. I don't believe I am jinxing myself in any way, when I openly voice my appreciation for what is good and my many small blessings.

How can one expect the best when you are afraid to acknowledge and appreciate it?

From things as inconsequential as the weather ... to raising children ... to a financial state of ease. I am rich in so many ways and I feel that 'richness' comes from appreciating and being grateful for it. I don't care if the whole world knows how blessed I feel. I believe that I should shout from the roof tops how grateful I am for all that I have been given.

A person has no control over so many things in life. The weather is a perfect example.

When my mom and I flew to Toronto last winter, it was a week after weather conditions forced many airports to close. Mom was diligently following the Weather Channel and reporting all of the weather that was happening prior to our departure. I was actually relieved that it was happening before we left, as I felt it gave us more hope for good travelling weather when we were scheduled to travel.

I believe in miracles and they seem to happen every day. It was as if the skies parted for us and our safe arrival and departure to and from our destination. As the plane touched down when I reached my final destination, the snow and wind were just starting to wind up again. The weather turned miserable after we were both tucked safely back in our respective homes.

Did this happen because I believed it would? No. Not in a minute. We were very, very fortunate. Do I believe that one can 'jinx' the weather by speaking stating the obvious ("We've had 2 great days in a row!"). Not in a heart beat. Do I believe our wishes have any control over the weather? Not that either. But do I believe in hoping for and believing that the 'best' can happen and wishes do come true? You bet!

I feel the only way I can jinx myself is in not being grateful and acknowledging the many blessings that happen every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment