Monday, June 29, 2009

Contrasting Weekends

My weekend agendas have been so varied, that my head is spinning.

I had 3 weekends in a row where I had either 1 or both weekend days fully committed to some fun activity. It was fun while it lasted ... but it takes a lot of orchestrating, to free up those days in my life and by the time the 3rd weekend arrived, I was beyond exhausted.

Then there was last weekend ... Ahhh. If ever there was a weekend that I needed to let my hair (what hair?? back to the rotten haircut again!) down, that was it.

But reality had to hit sooner or later. I actually work for a living. And if committing my weekdays to borrowing other people's children (so that I can feed, entertain, discipline and watch over them) isn't enough, I seem to think that I would like a job that challenges my brain and a new direction to aspire towards. Thus, my part time book keeping job.

The year end for this company was last month and we are now tying up (many) loose ends to help them prepare what they need for their accountant. The tasks on the to-do-list are endless. And they are brutally painful. Not catching up one month of back log ... but 12 (that is, if we have all the paperwork required to do this catching up).

I devoted 9 1/2 solid hours (not counting my one hour break) to the job on Saturday and 2 + 4 hours (a 3 hour break to take Kurt to see 'The Transformers' movie) yesterday. I started each day at 8:15 am and I called it quits at 6:30.

I need another weekend.

The sad part is, that this is just the beginning. And to make matters worse, I believe that we will be trying to squeeze a lot of this work into the next 3 weeks. I was recently asked when I may have time to stop for a visit & coffee, and as I fast forwarded through my obligations to this company, my own life and the catch-up required after taking some time for my own plans ... I said, "Maybe in the fall."

Kurt looked at the work I had spread around me on Saturday and the smaller pile I was working with on Sunday and said, "At least when you worked on Saturdays, you didn't bring your work home with you." Yes - I thought that 6th work day to keep my foot in the door at the Credit Union was exhausting. But look what I've done. Not only the book keeping, but the idea of creating another family history book when I'm just a little bit over my head ... and the idea of gathering with friends and family in my down time ...

I need another weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment