Thursday, June 11, 2009

Best Laid Plans

It's been a one step forward, two steps back kind of week ...

I was mentally prepared for a busy week. Then 2 of my dance lessons were cancelled so I relaxed ... for a moment.

Little did I know that extra time would be filled with new-things-to-do. Vital things-to-do. Things that had to get done in the time frame I would have been dancing. So the time freed up from my cancelled lessons worked out to my benefit.

All week, I've planned to exercise in the free moments of my day. It hasn't happened. My energy level has plummeted and watching My Youngest on the Dance Dance Revolution wore me out.

Finally! Last night ... after running across the city to buy My Youngest's favorite cinnamon bagels (no raisins) on the only night that they are open long enough for me go buy them ... making a pit stop at the ATM to do some banking ... buying groceries and putting them away ... I was ready to exercise. This was the night I was going to burn off the bag of potato chips (and much, much more) that I scarfed down in the 24 hours that preceded me.

Son #1 was going to drop by and pick up some parcels that he had delivered here. Oh well. I'd exercise after he left ... "I still had time ..."

Then ... the computer died. Just up and quit. The last time it did this, it was the power supply. I unplugged the computer, waited a few minutes and it did turn back on. As luck would have it, I had my resident computer expert coming over within minutes to pick up his parcels and (even more fortunate) I had a spare power supply in the house.

Long story short ... the computer died again while he was here but he had to be back home right away so he packed up the computer and power supply and called me when it was fixed.

I was so frustrated at the thought of my exercise plan going out the window ... again. But I would have been a thousand times more frustrated if my computer savvy son hadn't been able to fix my broken computer (almost on the spot).

I had book keeping work that I needed to get done. Waiting a few days for a computer service call would have been more than a little inconvenient. It would have meant I couldn't work.

As it turns out, my week-gone-awry has turned out with far more benefits than I would have had, had everything gone as planned.

Best laid plans gone awry can sometimes work out to be even better than what you expect. When everything feels like it is going wrong, it can sometimes end up being very, very right.

No comments:

Post a Comment