Friday, May 15, 2009

Taking a Step Out of the Ordinary

I have been racing through the days and weeks lately. It seems that I have been out of the house far too much - running errands, visiting family, collecting memories and dancing.

I was supposed to go to a group dance lesson last night. When I mentioned it to Kurt (with the intent of letting his response guide my decision whether or not to go), he replied "Don't you think you've been pushing this going out a little bit?" That was my answer.

We went out. It all started with a trip to WalMart as he had been craving snacks all week and I hadn't bought any (even with all of my errand running and guilt attached to that). He desperately needs some new clothes, so we made a bargain. We would get a snack and he had some allowance that he was free to spend, if only he would come and look at clothes with me.

One thing led to the next and thanks to a miscommunication (he thought it was Friday night because there is no school today) and a tentative plan to try and see a movie 'Friday night' ... we ended up going out to see a show. On a Thursday night.

We spent a completely untypical Thursday night together, which gave it the flavor of 'the weekend'. What a truly unexpected gift that was!

We have been anticipating going to see this show (it came out 2 weeks ago and we simply haven't had a free day to go and see it) and it has been far too long since we had a Mom/son outing. I was relaxed, he was happy to go with the flow of the evening and it couldn't have worked out better if we had planned every moment.

I went to sleep and woke up with a sense of relaxation and ease that I never feel on a weekday. It was incredible to take an ordinary Thursday night and turn it into a Friday. I feel like I'm getting a bonus weekend day this upcoming long weekend.

Who knew that something so simple, could make such a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment