Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Give Yourself a Break Today

"When you do not treat yourself the way you want others to treat you, you can never change the way things are." - The Secret

I read this quote from 'The Secret' a few days ago and it has been resonating in my mind ever since.

I've learned to be kinder to myself over the course of my life. In doing so, I seem to find myself being treated better by everyone around me. Thus, this statement rings very true.

Yes, I still beat myself up over things that I have the ability to improve. There are traits within me, that are simply a part of my being ... that I've learned to accept. Or else I voice them, so that there is a consciousness that I am aware of my many imperfections.

I've had a history of relationships where I believe that I was treated the way I treated myself at the time. Over the years, I've learned that I deserve to be treated better. So ... I started that process by treating myself better.

I have (unconsciously) found myself surrounded in positive, healthy relationships. I have filled my life with people who make me feel good. Uplifting, positive, encouraging souls fuel me.

If a person truly believes that they are the best that they can be, no one should have the power to make them believe any less than that.

Everyone has their limitations. Even (especially) those who sit in a place and judge others, are no more perfect than anyone else.

Why do some people have a habit of bringing down those around them? What joy is there in creating sorrow in others? If we believe in ourselves enough ... we should be able to weather some storms and still come out with our self esteem intact.

I was recently told that I look happy. I've been a pretty sombre person for a lot of my life ... so to hear that someone sees joy within me was a huge compliment. More than that, I think it is something that absolutely everyone deserves.

I wish I had a recipe for that happiness. If you don't believe in yourself, who will? It must start from within. Every single person that walks this earth has value.

Small steps - immersing yourself in positive vibes is the best place to start. The people who make you laugh and smile, are the people worth investing your time and energy on. There will be people who are a part of your life that sap your reserves ... but if you have a good supply of self esteem and positiveness within ... they can't bring you down for long.

Celebrate yourself and let yourself off the hook. Just give yourself a break today (yes ... I do often go to McDonald's, as their theme song goes through my mind on 'days like those' where you really do need a pick-me-up).

No comments:

Post a Comment