Friday, April 24, 2009

Just Another Math Problem

I like numbers. Numbers make sense. There is an absolute right and wrong answer. There is always some way to figure out a mathematical solution to a question.

I have never counted calories in my life. I've been lucky enough to have a metabolism that worked well for me (for the first 46 years of my life anyway). Even as the weight continued to find its way onto my body, I assumed that I would adjust my eating patterns and all would work out ... eventually. Obviously that hasn't happened (thus the excess padding I'm sporting lately).

As I checked into the Weight Watchers website and found their point system and various tracking methods I thought that I would start keeping track of my calories expended and taken in. It's been an eye opening experience.

First off, I wasn't going to let food that had a shelf life go to waste. So I just ate what I had in the fridge this week and calculated the calories I was eating. The 4 sale items that grabbed my interest on last weekend's grocery trip were: potato salad, macaroni salad, pie and ice cream. It took the better part of 5 days to consume them (there is still lots of ice cream left) but the price that I paid ($18.00) wasn't such a deal when I added up the calorie intake (an average of 2400 calories a day).

It's complicated math. A bargain in my pocket book doesn't necessarily equal a bargain on my waistline.

I made home made chicken soup for the kids yesterday and tallied up the calories for one serving. Now that was a mathematical formula for success!! One half of a left over chicken breast; 3 carrots; 3 stalks of celery; 1/2 an onion; 3 boxes of store bought chicken broth (I should have had turkey broth on hand); and a cup of rice equals a bargain for my budget. And at 240 calories (including 6 crackers), it was a smart way to eat.

I do believe that I've stumbled onto a formula that may work for me:
Home made soups + exercise = weight loss

Making soup in bulk and having it on hand will take away the 'what will I grab for supper' blues. Not only will I save money and calories ... but in the long run, I'll save time as well (more time to exercise).

On the bright side, my high calorie week didn't cost a lot. I tallied up all the food I consumed since Monday and I spent a total of $40 to feed myself for 5 entire days. When you think of how easy it is to spend an average of $8.00 on a take out entree (which is only one meal out of 3 ... and 9 times out of 10, a person is craving a snack shortly there after), I would say that though this week didn't spell weight loss at least I didn't break the bank.

If I can turn this weight problem into a math problem, I think that I just may find my solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment