Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Good Day to Put Behind Me

The incessant chatter in my brain is enough to drive me crazy some days. When you add the background noise of a very, very loud daycare-day on top of that ... the day feels endless. Today was a day like that.

I had a full agenda today - book keeping work to do; a full kid-load; plans this evening; the desire to work exercise and a shower into my day; and ripe bananas on the kitchen counter (just begging to be made into banana muffins).

I should have known it was going to be a day like this, when the 10 minute job of making muffins took 45 minutes. Today's entry in my daycare blog is "Why I Don't Make Muffins" and I itemized every interruption that took place while I accomplished this very small task.

I didn't know when I would work exercise into my day, so I worked at my book keeping job frantically all morning and an hour after lunch. And I accomplished my goal of finishing it up before nap time so that I could use those 2 hours to exercise and shower.

Playing in the background of my busy day, was the chatter of children. Loud chatter. Demanding voices (see the Silence is Golden entry in my"Infants to Independents" blog). The needs, wants and desires of the kids I had here today peaked just after lunch ... and again, just before they started trickling home. The noise levels drove me batty and my patience was nil. I did my happy dance (inside my head) every time one of them left.

The day has wound down and the rituals of cleaning up the house, my mind and closing my doors for the evening has brought me to a very peaceful place.

I have a clear agenda for my after-work hours ... and before my plans for the evening. All I can think of, is how great it would be to turn off the world and let this day end quietly at home.

And it will. After I come home from dancing. The dance studio has become an oasis of fun and happiness for me. I can't think of a better way of ending 'a day like this' ...

No comments:

Post a Comment