Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tackling Impossible Things

I knocked a few items off of my list of 'impossible things' the past few days. Not that some of what I accomplished was all that impossible to do, it was just some things that I had put off for so long that they had started to feel impossible.

Today, I finally, I had the right mind set to tackle 'Microsoft Word' again. It is so frustrating when you have done something before but you can't figure it out the second time. Repetition is key, when it comes to fully understanding something. Doing it once just isn't enough.

I spent 2 hours this afternoon trying to add the page numbers/chapter information on a family history book that I am trying to compile. And I simply couldn't figure out why I could figure it out for a few chapters but not the rest. I tried, retried ... I saved and tried again. The thing was, that I kept repeating what didn't work. I knew this but I kept repeating my errors. Over and over again. Like if I held my tongue right and cocked my head to the side and said pretty, pretty please it would work this time.

Amazingly enough, I figured this out after the kids returned from school and chaos reigned in my house and mind. It was like the noise erased the repetitive thought processes going through my brain. I finally figured it out.

So I thought I'd add a table of contents while I was up to the challenge. It took the better part of a day to figure this out the first time around. So I wasn't too optimistic.

It is amazing what happens when you understand the directions and follow them to the letter. It worked. First try. I didn't even have to wish on a star and jump backwards while balancing a glass of water on my head. It worked.

I have crossed 2 items off of my 'Book Project List'. I have been totally overwhelmed with this task for so long, that it has become monumental in my mind.

Not any more. After today, I know that I can keep forging ahead with this. I wonder how many items I can stroke off of that list by the end of the weekend. I can't wait to find out.

I feel like I can do anything now! And ... maybe I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment