Thursday, February 26, 2009

If You Cook It ... They Will Come

Our supper menus around here have left a lot to be desired lately. More often than not, the thought process is simply filling the void in our stomachs and trying to hit all the food groups for Kurt. Some nights, I have popcorn while Kurt has left overs from lunch. Anyone dropping by unexpectedly at supper time would not be enticed to stay.

Yesterday's supper menu started with some lettuce that had to be used and some baby potatoes that I had bought a while ago that only have a limited shelf life. I thawed some chicken and thought that was a good basis for a meal. As I organized supper at lunch time I had the thought come to me "If I cook it ... they will come ..."

And they did!

We ended up having a very spur of the moment and unexpected family supper. As I sat at the supper table with 'all of my boys', I realized just how special the moment was. The best things in life are the little things. The things we don't expect or anticipate.

The dynamic in my little family has not always been idyllic. We've had our share of drama and upheaval. Though last night was not a scene from 'The Walton's', it was a moment that I will remember with fondness.

Sitting at the table, providing nourishment for my family and enjoying their company is a recipe for family harmony that I don't savor nearly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment