Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Angels All Around Us

I've gradually amassed a very small collection of angels that I've kept with my Christmas decorations. This year, as I packed away 'Christmas' I kept all of my angels out and I have them displayed in a spot that I can enjoy them throughout the year.

The shelf that I have my angels showcased, also has a picture of my earthly angels - a most special group of friends that has seen me through many life transitions. They've been instrumental in supporting some life changing decisions that I have made and they have guided me through others. We have such an incredible friendship and I think there is a lot of mutual give and take. They are angels at my side.

Nestled in between my two sets of angels on this shelf, I have a framed picture of the farm that I grew up on. Home. It is the place where my roots are. It is a place that I feel grounded me at an early age. This picture symbolizes 'home' ... where ever that may be. I have my angels on either side of that photograph and pictures of my family are on a shelf above.

The display of my home, surrounded by angels is exactly how I feel. I feel an aura of safety, shelter and harmony around my home. There is peace within these walls that house me. There is peace within my heart.

The angels that walk among us are many. I have many friends. Amazing friends, that I connect with on many levels. I have one particular friend that is incredibly intuitive and she has been there for me at times when it seemed that she realized I needed a friend before I did. She walks through life very quietly in some ways. When she is recognized for doing a good deed she downplays it, as if anyone else would have done the same. She doesn't consider herself special. But she is.

I read some one's story of an 'angel unaware' that touched his life in a way that he will never forget - just by the words that she spoke to him. This is a memory that goes back decades. And he remembers the impact that this angel made upon his life to this day.

We were sitting at a light one day and noticed the person in the vehicle beside us. I can only assume that this person was completely wrapped up in a song that they were listening to. They were in their vehicle alone, but they were completely animated and it made my heart so happy to see the euphoria and excitement within this person. I thought at the time, that person had no idea how happy they made me at that precise moment. Feeling their happiness transcend through a mundane stop at a light. A small amount of 'happy' as I was going through the paces of my life. Another angel.

A little girl that I take care of makes me smile like no other. She is a marvel to watch, listen to and enjoy. She gets her parents attention by very quietly and sweetly doing something cute, to attract their eyes and hearts. Then she smiles. Her smile, her joy, her innocence and the words that she is trying out as she learns the English language are all a wonder to behold. She rarely says no. She's very much a 'yes' girl (or 'ya'). The first two words that she strung together were "Yes, please". What makes this such a miracle is that this young family is dealing with the dad's recent diagnosis of brain cancer. As they deal with this monumental, life changing situation they have their little angel to keep them smiling, to keep them in the moment and to keep their focus on the wonders that they do have ... right here and now. This joy in their hearts and their little angel, can only help them as they deal with the dad's health.

I have an 'angel' that appeared out of no where, when I was delivering papers in the wee hours of the morning to warn me of a guy who had hidden behind a car after he had asked me directions a few minutes prior. Her presence must have scared him off ... I didn't see him again.

The night that I moved my family to our new city, I was exhausted. I was starting to fall asleep at the wheel. I felt myself jerked awake on several occasions. This was in the middle of winter. I had all that was precious to me in the world, in my car - my children. Through some miracle, we made it to our destination safely. My dad had just passed away shortly before this and at the time, I felt it was his 'presence' guiding my car and my family and keeping us safe.

The words of my dad, that live on in my heart and memory and come to me when I need to hear or remember them. The memories of family members that passed away before my time or before I can remember that linger on in the memories, voices, characteristics and essence of the family left behind. Seeing my dad's eyes look directly into mine, through his brother that is still alive. Seeing him living on in my brother ... as they walk a different, but similar path.

As we walk through our lives, we touch others lives in ways that we will never know. We raise our children the best we know how and whether it is good or bad, a piece of us is carried within them for their life time. In our interactions with everyone we meet, we may be someone's angel of mercy one time and others, we may feel touched by an angel.

As I feel the presence of 'angels' all around, I feel like I'm living in a little piece of heaven right here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment