Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Love Saturdays!

Many times last night, I woke up and tried to orient myself with the time and day of the week. Each time I realized that the morning ahead of me was Saturday, I felt a small thrill. The excitement and joy of 2 days from my weekly responsibilities elates me.

My 'new life' since I took a leave of absence from my Saturday job has been nothing short of wonderful. Beyond the luxury of 2 day weekends there is so much more in my life.

As I was telling someone who didn't realize that my life had taken this small shift yesterday, I felt myself panic as I said the words out loud. This decision to take a break from my Saturday job and the ability to take on a bookkeeping job from the comfort of my own home has been the best choice that I could have ever made. But was I jinxing my good fortune by 'bragging' about it??

Emotionally, I am so fulfilled to have a 2 day break. I am able to say 'yes' to things as a parent, that my Saturday job usually meant an automatic 'no'. I don't feel like I'm constantly racing against the clock. I have time for 'me'. I have time for friends. I have time to be a mom. I have time ...

Taking on the bookkeeping job meant sacrifices to that time. I worked through many weekends at first and I did question if this was the right decision. Yes, I was at home. But working all weekend, I was no more available as a parent than I would be, if I was working 6 hours out of my home.

Financially, this job has created a comfort level that my budget has rarely known. There is money left over at the end of the month for the first time that I can remember. Maybe I am not setting high enough financial goals with this new found income but the key is, that I am not spending more than I am making. Spending just a little more than I make has been a recurring theme in my budgeting. This time around, I am making wiser choices and not loosening the purse strings. The reality of the 6 weeks of reduced income after my surgery last fall has kept me very aware of the precarious situation that I am in financially. It was a very good lesson for me.

I have always stood by the idea that money can't buy happiness. I still believe that. But a comfortable financial situation does buy a sense of peace. A feeling that the rug can't be too easily ripped out from underneath you. I recognize that this feeling of peace that I feel at the end of this month, comes from a lot of things. One of which, is financially based. Instead of wondering how I will juggle my finances to make it all work, I am deciding how to best utilize what is left over.

In the economic uncertainty in the world around us, I know that nothing can be taken for granted. The business that I am doing bookkeeping for, is a small company. The owner built it from the bottom up ... but there is a lot of stress involved in keeping everyone happy in a thriving business. Who knows what lies ahead?

Nothing in this world is certain. I choose to make the best out of the opportunities that I am given. That has proven to be successful in my life. I like to ride the waves that I encounter in life. Swimming against the current has never been my way. And I'm riding a very good wave right now. And I am going to go and make the best of my Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment