Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Power of Thought

"An insult doesn't have to be shouted at you to make you bleed; a vow doesn't have to be whispered to you to make you believe. Hold a thought in your head, and that is enough to change the actions of anyone and anything that crosses your path."
(An excerpt from 'The Tenth Circle' by Jodi Picoult)

I read this today and was reminded of something I already know. The power that we hold within ourselves ...

'The Secret' envelopes this concept. And although it sounds a little hokey, from my own experience it seems to be true.

10 years ago I had a dream. To support myself from home and be a more hands on parent. I visualized it, I believed it, I dreamed it could happen. And though I've had some challenging times, in the end it always works out. Always.

The last relationship I was in had its hills and valleys. I had to talk myself through some of the tough spots but I knew one thing was true. When I focused on everything he was ... I was happy and content within our relationship. When I believed anything was possible, I felt like it was true. It was when I stopped believing that I ran into trouble.

When a person focuses on the negative in any situation and spends a lot of 'internal energy' on that negativity the thoughts become reality.

When I read that passage in my book this afternoon, I realized that my thoughts were shifting my reality (and not necessarily in a good way). If I keep walking around thinking as I have been, I could change my world.

I'm ready for a shifting of the tides, but I want it to happen in a positive way. I want to enjoy the process and not make enemies or mistakes along the way. I need look for the silver lining in my days but also look into the horizon for what I want in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment