Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Every Day Miracles

I love to focus on the simple pleasures of life. When you look around you, miracles abound. Sometimes they are disguised as a tragedy ... but when the dust settles, often a person can find one thing to be grateful for (even if it takes a while to find it).

This past weekend I was thinking of a friend. A friend that I have known for 37(ish) years ... a friend that I haven't seen in 35 or so years ... a friend that I keep in contact with at Christmas time and now (thanks to the miracle of email), maybe a time or two throughout the year. I thought of her on 2 separate occasions, with 2 totally different 'triggers' to have me thinking of her. And ... I got an email from her on Sunday!! Talk about a small miracle! To think that we happened to be thinking of each other at the same time ... a 'lifetime' of living, 2 totally separate lives and over 1700 miles separate us ... and we were thinking of each other at the same time. It truly makes one believe in "fate or else our ears are burning in synchrony" to quote my friend. It makes the world feel so much smaller when things like that happen.

I've been busy writing letters (the old fashioned way ... where you actually put pen to paper and mail them) this past short while. I write to my mom every week, but I added a few extra people to the mix ... just because I was thinking of them. The connection isn't as instantaneous as email, but the sentiment is just the same. "I'm thinking of you ... and thought I'd let you know."

In this world full of global unrest and financial uncertainty where every day, people are facing their own mountains - whether a personal crisis, being a care giver to an aging family, facing one's own health challenges or a rough patch in life ... I think it is important to find the blessings mixed in amongst the turmoil.

Letting someone know they are in your thoughts can make a difference. You just never know ... maybe that friend was thinking of you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment