Saturday, August 30, 2008

You Don't Always Get What You Want ...

... but sometimes (usually), you get what you need.

Life is funny that way. It throws you a curve ball and it takes you off the path that is predictable and familiar. It is uncomfortable, a little frightening and you just don't know where it is going. But every time I've made a slight detour from where I thought I was headed, I have been pleasantly surprised by the outcome.

A month ago, I was feeling very uneasy about where things were at. Nothing was certain. The only thing that I knew for sure was that I had to stop spending money. Now.

So ... I tightened the purse strings, drew up a plan ... and followed it. And something that I already knew (but had forgotten) is that I do well on a strict budget. In fact, this budget has enhanced my life!

On the surface, it means 'no junk food in the house' (yay!! to curb the terrible eating habits I have developed). It means 'no frivolous spending' (utilize what you have on hand and forget about looking beyond what you have or need). It means free time can be spent doing 'free things' (everything doesn't have to cost money!). It means filling my time with people and projects that utilize what I have on hand (I don't need to spend money to write, to visit or to reach out to someone). It means finding ways to spend time with My Youngest (not money on him). It shifts the focus on what I have (from what I want).

It costs nothing to phone, visit or email a friend. It costs nothing to write. It costs nothing to reach out to a family member you would like to know better. It costs nothing to share a ride with someone when you were already going there. It costs nothing to spend time, not money on yourself, your family or your friends. It costs nothing to read (if you read what you already have, can borrow or get from a library). It costs nothing to expand your mind and your heart. It costs nothing to be a friend. It costs nothing to share an experience with someone when you feel in your heart it is something you want to do and it can only be enhanced by sharing it with someone who could appreciate it as much as you.

When they say 'The best things in life are free', they are right. That isn't true in the scenario where lack of money to cover your essentials, overwhelming debt overtake the resources you have or you don't have the ability to earn what you need. But once the essentials of life are bought and paid for, the best parts of life are free. A healthy and happy heart and home. Friends and family. Peace of mind.

I am surrounded in the richness that is my life ...

1 comment:

  1. Colleen - tonight Judy was here with Barry and her mother-in-law and Cathy G stopped in as well. We were telling Cathy about all the amazing things that you do - showing her the DVD's and stuff like that. You are so right there are so many things in life that we can do that take no money - you have inspired me in so many ways and one of them was having the courage to leave my career early and get out there and enjoy life more. Thank you from the bottom of my heart as there are so many days that I say now "I love my life" and that was not the case in the past. Keep the stories coming as they keep me motivated to focus on what is important and not to panic about the future! Love it. Karen

    ReplyDelete