Monday, August 18, 2008

Hooked on DVD's

Watching Oprah piques my curiosity in many ways. Sometimes her shows are very thought provoking and life changing. Sometimes there is one sentence in her show that stays with me long after I turn off the TV. Sometimes her shows provide an emotional outlet for me - whether it is to shed a tear or laugh out loud. But one of her shows has piqued my curiosity and taken over a good part of my free time this summer ...

Oprah interviewed the cast of 'Sex in the City' just before their movie debuted. I had never watched an episode of the show but I was intrigued by the interview. So ... I splurged and bought the first few seasons on DVD.

I must admit that I was embarrassed to say that I was watching this series. The language is language I don't even think, let alone speak. Some scenes made me want to cover my own eyes. I turned off the TV every time I heard My Youngest upstairs so he wouldn't overhear what I was watching. I had several moments of thinking "I sure didn't know that!!" Basically, watching these first few seasons was my little secret.

Then my sister let me in on her little secret ... that she would like to see the movie ... because she enjoyed the series. So, I thought there must be more to it than meets the eye. And I bought seasons 3 through 6.

They were definitely interesting and I found myself wanting to continue on to the next episode to see where the story line went. And I was starting to enjoy and anticipate the message that each episode portrayed.

By Season 4, I was officially hooked. I started laughing out loud and enjoying the reality of the lives and relationships of these 4 New York friends. It was less and less about the 'sex' and more and more about the friendships that withstand the many life changes, evolving relationships and differences that we all have with our friends.

The strength of our friendships is a powerful thing. The honesty, the laughter, the acceptance and the ability to adapt to the life changes of your friends is so real to me.

I have so many different personalities of friends. It seems the one thing that I share with all of my friends, is the ability to open up and be honest with myself and with them. We can look at ourselves and laugh among the pain. We can cry among the joy. There is an understanding that goes beyond the surface. We have known each other 'forever' and grown together.

Maybe I don't have the luxury of getting together with my friends as regularly as they do on this fictional TV series ... but I have friends that I can count on.

1 comment:

  1. I had been thinking about Naomi and phoned her this afternoon and we were talking about you and how we so needed another adventure with Colleen and then I went to your blog site and read this. It just sealed my thinking that I am feeling a little down because I am missing this positive group of friends in my life. You are so right friends are such a gift and help us find the laughter among the pain. You should write your own book could be much better than "The Secret" as you have so much wisdom to share.

    ReplyDelete