Monday, August 4, 2008

Changing Gears

Yes ... the kids return tomorrow ... I'm back to work on Saturday ... the return of life as I know it happens in about 12 hours. And I'm ready.

I have crossed a few more items off the errand-running list today. The last thing I want is to be doing, is racing around after the kids leave right off the bat. So I've tended to all that I can possibly tend to. The house is back in kid-ready mode. I'm rested. And I'm looking forward to the change of pace.

I had to sit down and take a good, long look at my financial state of disrepair this morning. Scary. I have to do some bare bones living this next while. I just took inventory of the excesses of food that I have amassed around here and it would appear that I should be able to seriously cut back on groceries for the month. The scary part about that is replenishing those supplies. I've grown quite accustomed to the knowledge that I have a little stock pile of things. Oh well.

I've got a good supply of unread reading material, lots of DVD's I can watch, lots of paint and painting that I can do and writing is free. I have cards, emails and letters that I can send and blogs to update.

I have a wealth of supplies in every capacity to get me through the months ahead. I had stockpiled some savings as well, but it never fails. The money disappears far faster than it accumulates. Between the bedroom renovations, holidays, cleaning the furnace/etc and a buy-now-pay-later deal, I was enticed into an over spending mode.

It's time to respect my money and limits once again. I've got far too many unknown variables right now. Out of the 8 families that I babysit for, all but 1 of them are in such a state of transition (job changes, schooling changes, health concerns and unknown schedules) that I simply don't know which way is up in September.

The fall is always a time of transition in this babysitting business. I seem to have a minor or major attack of panic every year. And every year it seems to work its way out. I have 2 families on a waiting list (whether or not they would still need me by the time I call is always unknown) and there is uncertainty in my own world as well this year. I think that is the part that is most unsettling.

It looks like I will need minor surgery. The surgery is nothing. It is the time that I may need to have off afterwards that is unnerving. I know absolutely no details so at this point, I am really wasting my time worrying about what may be. It just seems prudent to start squirreling away every extra cent that I can in case I'm out of commission for a few weeks. If I could table this surgery until my next holiday that would be ideal.

Maybe that is why I'm so eager to get back to work? I can't save money if I'm not making it. These next few months must pay off my overspending. Then ... I must save. This is the state my finances are in every fall. But every year I think I plan a little better and spend less. For some reason though, I always end up in the same spot.

Next year is the year that I will face fall without a worry in the world. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment