Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Seasons of Our Lives

As I looked out the window this morning, to a cloudy overcast day ... all I could see was my green lawn.

My lawn has never been greener than it has been this year. Our summer of intermittent showers, along with the grass seed I've sprinkled on some dead patches has done wonders for the appearance of my lawn. On the other hand, my mom who takes pride in her always lush, green, weed-free lawn has had a season of stagnant growth.

Lawns as with people, can't always be their best. There are years where they may battle drought, insect infestations and no matter what a person does it just doesn't seem to matter.

We all have seasons like that. Drought (lack of enthusiasm, inspiration and fun), infestations (illness, family crisis and negative forces within) and times where it seems like you go in circles - no matter what you do, you end up where you started.

The thing that one doesn't see is what is happening during those seasons of stagnancy. While the lawn appears to be struggling from outward appearances, it is building a stronger root system. "What does not kill us makes us stronger." The seasons where a person is faced with the challenge of placing one foot in front of the other are building inner strength and character. Those seasons may not see a person in full bloom, but they are seasons where the 'root system' is becoming stronger.

"Into each life some rain must fall" ... try to sprinkle a little seed during the rainy season in your life, so when the sun does shine again (and it always does), something beautiful can come of the rain.

1 comment:

  1. Colleen, you are so wise, so insightful. I love this lawn analogy - right now I feel like I am in the drought season but you are so right often we don't see what is happening during the stagnancy. Thanks again for sharing your positive views that make a lasting impact on us all.

    ReplyDelete