Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A Quiet Morning

This morning, my thoughts are with my aunt who is in the hospital. And my mom. Mom and her sister both have long distance phone bundles so they will often talk on the phone several times a day, despite the 6+ hours that physically separate them. To hear how often and how long they chat on the phone makes me think of two young girls. And I think they also feel a sense of that, as they talk about the many things that come up when you talk to someone so often.

We have been hoping that Mom would consider moving back 'home' to be closer to family. At one point, it really seemed like it was going to happen. Then the obstacles started appearing, not to mention the onerous task it would be for Mom to move, change banking, doctors and everything that is tied to her life where she is at. Then when she got the long distance phone package and was a phone call away from anyone at anytime, I think it bridged the gap for her. So the idea of a move has been tabled.

There have been a lot of family occasions to bring Mom 'home' this spring/summer. She has been on the road a lot. But I think when all is said and done, she is pleased to have her house as she knows it, to return to. It is her home.

But now, with her sister in the hospital and that 'phone connection' missing, I can't help but think how hard this must be for Mom. I wish she was here ...

No comments:

Post a Comment