Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pick Up and Carry On

The past few days have been a little off the mark for me in my 'new life'. I've been thinking too much, doing too little and the creative side of my brain took a holiday.

The last 'creative' thing that I did was to make up a little card to give to my aunt. Just some pictures that I had from when we went to her house in February and a few words to go along with them. Nothing really deep or sappy. Just light thoughts of wishing Mom was here for her and picturing her back at home. As I thought of what I would write, I knew that I had already said and written the 'big stuff'. What I haven't written in a letter or note or in The Book, I have said out loud to her. I had nothing left to say but the sentiment of picturing her back in good health and enjoying the cozy home that she has made for herself.

There is a great amount of peace in knowing that the people in your life know what a gift you have found in them. It has become second nature to me, to let people know how I feel and how I treasure their friendship and the many gifts that they bring into my life. Just by being themselves. It gets easier and easier the more I do it. By writing things down, it has become natural to just say it out loud to a person. It is always nice to have the written word as back up though. Something that can be reread and reexperienced whenever the need arises.

I have a friend that never gives a card without her gift of words inside. As I was housecleaning my 'memory box' last year, I culled through the cards I have received over the years. There were many cards with a touching sentiment or verse. Those ones, I saved so that I could 'regift' the sentiment as part of another gift another day. The handwritten notes ... I saved. Just for me. When a person is looking back and going through memories those words written with such care and from the heart are the most precious gift of all.

As much as I have given, I have received. Every person's way of communicating is different. There are those that can speak the words ... or let their actions speak for them ... or just in the quiet of a conversation where they let you speak your heart ... I believe I have been surrounded by a family of friends that have given me the courage to find my method of communicating my thoughts.

After a two day hiatus from the creative and busy process that I have come to call my life, I'm ready to make some new lists and start some new projects to get the positive ions in my brain back into the forefront of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment