Monday, July 28, 2008

Give More Than You Take

The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die - John Izzo

It is in the giving that you receive...

The magic of Christmas was finally revealed to me when I learned to live that statement. The Christmases that stand out in my mind are the ones where I was more excited about what I gave than what I received. In fact, a few 'from the heart' words in whatever language fit the giver the best (written, spoken or the action), is the best gift I could ever receive.

It was after the magic of this past Christmas that I started my blog in a way to keep connected to people all year long instead of that one letter during the Christmas season. I am quoting myself from my very first blog entry on December 29th of last year:

"It has been a 'Christmas of all Christmases' this year. It seems that the spirit of the season enveloped me and touched everything in my life. The entire month seems like it has been one blessing after another. Gatherings with friends and family ... the shared history that makes the simple act of getting together a gift unto itself.

I thoroughly enjoy the Christmas card exchange part of this season. Keeping in touch with friends and family near and far ... finding a unique way to 'tell my story' ... writing to each individual and feeling as though I had just sat down and shared a coffee (though the conversation is a little one sided) ... it inspires me, it envelops me with such a feeling of 'oneness' with this big place called earth. To feel connected to so many, from so many places, and our shared pasts. Hmmm..."

This was the spirit in which I started the year and it has been a gift that kept on giving. One inspiration led to the next; one success gave me the courage to try again; one well timed phone call or email spurred me onto the next. In each case, I was 'giving' a small piece of myself. And there was a person on the receiving end that could receive something from my gesture.

This has been the best lesson of all for me. In opening up my world and taking chances on reaching out to people, trying new things, following my heart and following my whims it has created a new person within.

A while ago, the thought of the day from "The Secret" calendar that I have, was making sure that your thoughts/words/actions and surroundings don't contradict your desires when you want to attract a relationship. To think of the actions you would take in preparation for the relationship and do as many of them as you can. I read that entry and felt that I have taken positive steps to attract positive people in my life. I am not necessarily thinking of a relationship of the male/female variety. I am thinking of the relationships that I already have with the people in my life. And the new friendships that I am making along the way.

I like the person that I am. I feel better than I have ever felt before in my life. There is a contentedness within me that nothing or no one can take from me. I have learned it and I have earned it. It is here to stay.

I do believe that I was discovering the 'Five Secrets' long before I read this article. And as I started out saying when I first started this entry ... it is in the giving that you receive. I have received more than I could ever hope for. I am happy.

"Give more than you take."

No comments:

Post a Comment