Sunday, May 4, 2008

More on Breathing ...

This Sunday morning feels so foreign to me. It my third day off in a row. It is a day with only a small 'agenda' (supper plans with my aunts and Mom).

I may need to take 'breathing lessons' to learn how to fully appreciate all of this time!

I have stepped back and looked at some of the things that have consumed me the past 4 months. I seem to have lived those months at a pace where I got a lot accomplished and I also felt like I had the time to 'savor the moment' as I went through the various stages of progress of what was at hand.

I am haunted by a small amount of remorse. 'The Book' being completed in a fast forward time warp may not have resulted in the best outcome. I looked at it again this morning and it seems better than my memory of what it was. No matter how polished and edited and reworded and reworked it may be, there will always be room for improvement. But for those who helped me compile the stories, it is nice to have it in its finished form.

As I rewatched the edited (shortened) video recordings of our visits, I feel better about the book. On numerous occasions, I know that I have written word-for-word what I was told. It's hard to encapsulate the entire essence in which the words were spoken but I am hoping that no one feels like I took their words and twisted the intent.

There is a huge gift to me intertwined in this whole Book Project. I heard and read these stories first hand. I felt the emotion, the laughter, the spirit in which the tales were relived and retold. It is a huge responsibility to try and put this on paper so that years down the road, our family can reread it and feel it as well. That is the part that I don't know if I succeeded at ...

It feels like all of those that were involved in the retelling of their lives have received 'the gift' as well. And with that in mind, I can count this as a success.

I am meeting up with all of these newly reacquainted family members for supper tonight. My aunt that arranged this wanted to do this to thank me for helping them 'tell their story.' How special is that??

I shall take a long, deep breath and savor the moment tonight. It is a memory I want to imprint in my mind forever ...

No comments:

Post a Comment