Thursday, May 8, 2008

Heaven on Earth

I believe that we are meant to bask in the great outdoors ...

Spring has finally arrived! I'm able to go outside with the kids and we aren't battling the elements. The snow has melted, the mud is gone, the sun isn't too intense and I haven't seen a mosquito (yet) ...

Yesterday afternoon, I sat and enjoyed my favorite babysitting moment. Listening and watching children contentedly at play, is one sure fire way to make my heart soar.

They were intensely involved in their game and what they were building in the sandbox. Their chatter was nonstop. There was give and take going on (at one point, there was an argument that could have happened but they resolved it between themselves). Even the 'younger sibling' seemed to respect the game that was going on and though she tried to push her way into it, the three of them got through that small moment and within minutes they were all back to their previous state of contentedness.

These are kids that can be a challenge at times ... so it was such a gift to be able to tell the parents just how wonderfully they played and got along at the end of the day. I much prefer to end a day on a positive note.

But sometimes it just feels like I'm spinning my wheels. As I was telling the last parent of the day just how good her son was playing and getting along, he was acting up (as he almost always does, as soon as she arrives). I made the comment to him that I was telling his mom how good he was ... didn't he want to hear? And the mom replied, "No, he'd rather hear you talk about how bad he was."

There were go again. Let's tell our kids how to act .....

Oh well. I still enjoyed my small piece of heaven while I had it.

No comments:

Post a Comment