Saturday, May 17, 2008

At One With Nature

What a beautiful day. In every sense of the word ...

Our weather has warmed up and the outdoors has been beckoning to me at last! I woke up this morning with little vim and vigor but I knew I had some early morning errands to run so that got me moving.

Once we got back home, I started puttering around outside. Again, I really didn't feel motivated or very energetic. But I thought I'd just putter. Well as my puttering often goes, one thing led to the next and I was outside for the majority of the day.

It feels so good to work outside. I sure didn't break any speed records in getting my work done. But the sun was out, the weather was fine and it was a glorious day to spend in the yard!

I gave myself permission to stop and take a sun-break for a few hours. I grabbed a book, a drink and parked myself in a sunbeam. I would read for a while ... then I'd just gaze around at the world around me. I was soaking up everything good in the day. I was appreciating all that I have ...

Last summer I did a marathon painting job that lasted about 3 months. Lots of work has been done outside this past while. So everytime I look around, I see what has been accomplished. There are days when a person looks around and all you see is the work that has yet to be done. There is always work to be done, if you are a homeowner! And I could have chosen to focus on my next outdoor wish list. But instead, I gazed around and fully appreciated all that I have.

I am grateful to own a home; relieved that I am able to keep on top of the maintenance; and thrilled that my home and yard are fully utilized (there is nothing more frustrating than spending all your free time maintaining a yard that no one appreciates).

Being outside and accomplishing something is a very 'grounding' experience. A person feels 'at one' with Mother Earth. And at the end of the day a person is tired for all of the right reasons. Fresh air and exercise (or work). It is a great sensation ...

No comments:

Post a Comment