Thursday, April 24, 2008

More on Health ...

Wow. It seems the past few weeks, I've been looking up medical symptoms and facing minor medical issues on a regular basis.

Yesterday I declared a 'chicken pox alert' as one of my preschoolers became exposed to chicken pox at preschool and started displaying mild symptoms.

Instant panic, as I thought of all the young ones I have around here. 'Epidemic' came immediately to mind, as I thought of the ones already exposed (they are most contagious 1 to 2 days before the spots break out); the incubation period before the next round of break outs; the new 1 yr old that is starting next week; and the mom's that are pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

Then ... as the parents started arriving last night with news of the chicken pox facing them, most of them assured me that their children were vaccinated against chicken pox.

We live in a wonderful province/country!! Yes!! All children born Jan 1, 2004 or later are automatically immunized at 12 months (and it was optional before that) for chicken pox. After surveying my parents I have found out that all of 'my kids' have been immunized. This doesn't offer 100% protection, but if they do get the chicken pox it should be a mild case.

There has been a lot of talk recently about the association of autism with vaccinations. This very small 'epidemic' really brings to mind what could happen if people start to choose not to vaccinate their children. Chicken pox is one of the less serious childhood diseases ...

I am so grateful the the children in my care are vaccinated. This little outbreak may still happen on a small scale. But to think of it happening en mass with much more serious ramifications is rather frightening. I always feel so responsible when anything contagious may run rampant through the household. We've faced head lice, colds and flus. Thankfully only one case of head lice was spread one time. The colds and flus ... are inevitable. We had one outbreak of chickenpox the first year I babysat. All in all, we have been very fortunate.

I've been 'googling' a lot lately, to find out more about the health issues that have arisen. It's wonderful to have the information so close at hand all of the time. The risk is in the misdiagnosis. I haven't done well with the diagnosis. But at least as far as the chicken pox goes, it shouldn't get too out of hand.

At this rate, I may soon have my medical degree!! (I jest, of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment